Monday, December 7, 2009

The Art of Silence


By nature, I am a quiet, laid-back, thoughtful person. I’ve been called everything from shy and reserved to stuck-up and conceited, because at times, my silence makes people feel uncomfortable. I used to think something was wrong with me for being this way and that I should change myself to make others feel more comfortable. Over time, I’ve grown to appreciate my ability to sit back and peacefully observe people and situations. I try to choose my words thoughtfully, because once they are out of your mouth, you can’t take them back. We should all ask ourselves before we speak, “Is it thoughtful, is it kind, does it improve upon the silence?”

Food for Thought:

You don't always have to have something to say.

Every time we open our mouths we release a powerful energy. If we could learn to hold onto that energy, it could be used to nurture our dreams, heal our bodies and fuel our minds. But we always have so much to say. Talking can take us off track, knock us off our center and kill off our dreams when we speak mindlessly. Talking is something we must learn to use, not something we must always do. That is a power in silence that energizes the mind, body and soul. Think of the sun, moon and stars. They all appear silent and never fail at their job. There is wisdom in silence. Think of the mountains and trees. They never have anything to say, yet it takes great effort to bring them down. There is love in silence. Think of the womb. Perfect timing, order and completion accomplished in total silence. Silence is an art, a tool of the wise. When we perfect the art of silence, chances are we will get a lot more done.

~Author Unknown

Disclaimer: At times, my silence has been more a function of insecurity than confidence. This is why silence is an art that must be learned. It is important to feel the release that only truth and communication can give you. Find the courage to express what you really want and articulate your feelings in a thoughtful way.

3 comments:

Kim Jackson said...

Love it! This is something I have known, but sometimes find it difficult to put into practice--especially when I am unhappy with a specific person/place/thing. There is one particular situation in my life, where I am praying for silence and thoughfulness because I know that this is what will bring about my breakthrough. Thanks for putting my thoughts in writing once again :-).

Chai said...

beautiful post. the way you've described yourself is how other's have perceived me my entire life. Learning to find comfort in who I am...not necessarily a silent, quiet person, but a thoughtful, mindful one, it's taken me a long time to do, but it's a nice journey to be on. But also, I don't let it define me completely...my mindfulness is sort of like my crown...I wear it everyday...but there are sooooo many other great qualities to a person...some may be hidden, but it's important to know that there are hardly one dimensional ppl out there.

msjakkia said...

This is so beautiful and I relate all to well. This blog is a blessing in many ways for me. Often times, you are able to express my feelings that I am unable to accurately articulate. You have a gift and are a blessing to many, including myself. Thank you.

Post a Comment

RSS Feed Like us in Facebook follow me!