Thursday, February 2, 2012

PLPT Reading List - February

Read



Kimora Lee Simmons has a luminous personality and lots of energy, which I admire because it is so different from my own rather reserved personality. Despite being very different than I perceive her to be, I love to watch how fabulously she carries herself. And so I took to her book, Fabulosity: What It Is and How to Get It out of curiosity about what it might hold, and I wasn’t disappointed. It’s a very positive book, geared at young women, that plants seeds of ‘girl power’ and high self-esteem. It is about much more than just how to be fabulous on the outside, but how to be fabulous on the inside as well. Kimora divided the book into sections such as self-esteem and confidence, work & power, independence, romance and positivity. She speaks from her point of view, but gives some really great tips on living a peaceful and happy lifestyle. At the end of each chapter is a series of quotes from other famous models, actors, musicians, etc. These are some of my favorite quotes:

"If I'd observed all the rules, I'd never have gotten anywhere." - Marilyn Monroe

Another reminder to be unafraid to take risks!

"It is a risk, but I believe the best investment you can make in anything is yourself. Invest in yourself, and then back it up. Back it up with what you do." – Iman

No one can believe in you, unless you believe in you first, right?

"I have no problem with whatever the next big look is. Just don't try to tell me that only one look is beautiful." - Alek Wek

It’s so important to accept and appreciate our own beauty regardless of what others might say.

"Don't let anyone tell you that you have to be a certain way. Be unique. Be what you feel." - Melissa Ethridge

Be yourself. Always. Unabashedly.

"If you've earned a position, be proud of it. Don't hide it. I want to be recognized. When I hear people say, 'There's Joan Crawford!' I turn around and say, 'Hi! How are you?' I never go out unless I look like Joan Crawford the movie star. If you want to see the girl next door, go next door." - Joan Crawford

I struggle with fear of success and accepting praise, so this quote speaks volumes for me.

"If you haven't cried, your eyes can't be beautiful." - Sophia Loren

All our hardships bring with them both wisdom and beauty—and can’t we all use a little bit of both? You can purchase Fabulosity from the PLPT bookstore by clicking here.



*A version of this post was originally published at Chic Mommy Cool Kid.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

RSS Feed Like us in Facebook follow me!