Wednesday, December 12, 2012

How To Make Your World Better Overnight


source


This post is for me, just as much as it is for you.

I'm having a hard time with some things, like we all do sometimes.  I believe that our respective skies have to fall every now and then, just to prove to us that we can survive it. 

One of the toughest aspects of my life these days, as a woman trying to hold on to herself, is that no matter what I'm going through, my world just keeps on spinning.  It doesn't slow down for me.  I feel like I'm running on a faulty treadmill that won't stop and I'm afraid to jump off.  I'm so out of breath that I can't even get the words out to ask anyone for help.

And the most aggravating part of it all is that I know it doesn't have to be this way.  We've all had problems come and go.  Some even stay and we manage to enjoy life in spite of them.  We climb our mountains and stand up to our bullies.  Then we encounter another challenge or crisis and become dutifully consumed all over again. 

Today, I want to remind you (and me) that none of our issues are random.  What helps me to wake up every morning with hope and determination is my awareness that every problem I have is an opportunity.  I may go to bed feeling heavy and uncertain - childishly frustrated that I can't solve everything overnight.   But in the morning I start fresh.

Start each day with the mentality that no matter what happens, you will view it like it was strategically placed in your life -  not to curse you - but to help you become a better version of yourself. 

When I make this conscious effort, I notice that my mood is significantly more resilient and less likely to take drastic swings when things don't go my way.  It doesn't make the problems necessarily seem smaller, it just gives you more motivation to face them.

The student loan people still won't let me decrease my payment.  My car is still on its death bed.  I'm still adjusting to my dad's new normal. And as much as I try to pray it and write it out of my system, I still have this sneaking suspicion that something is inherently and fundamentally wrong with mind.  I could go on, but you'd be bored.  I'm sure you have your own list of complications.

I live for the idea that every unwelcomed event, person or situation is really a doorway into the next me.  A stronger, wiser me.  Yay.  I'm so anxious to meet her.

What do you think?  Could this work for you, too?  Try it tomorrow, even on the smallest thing like someone cutting you off in traffic.  Think to yourself, "This jackass was strategically placed to help me become a more patient person."  Keep your road rage in check and drive on in peace. 

If we all practice this, we'll not only make our own private worlds better, but we'll also make the whole wide world better. Win Win.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Every word written was just like you were reading everything in my mind. I "needed" this..i started writing this morning but was unable to finish. I think you pretty much got it all out of my system!:) Thank You for being such an inspiration. This was sooo needed on this morning. God Bless!

GG said...

Oh! Thanks for the love! I feel better too, having written it. It really is all going to be okay. Just make sure you have outlets. Writing saves me time and time again! :)

Seychelle said...

I needed to hear this today, thank you!

Post a Comment

RSS Feed Like us in Facebook follow me!