Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Proofread, Edit, Re-Write

I’m coming to the realization that my story is being re-written. There have been a lot of things removed from the story of my life lately—characters are being dropped from leading roles, things that looked good on paper now look a little messy-- basically any predictable part of the story has been ripped right out of the book and anything that I felt like I knew-- and had come to rely on being already written--has been removed from my line of sight. I'm obviously doing too much of the same thing and the universe says it’s time to switch it up. It feels like every time I make a plan it falls through and every time I make a decision it gets trumped. But I have to remind myself that it just means I’m not making the right plans or that it’s time to edit and revise the ones I have. The universe is striking through things with a red pen and giving me the opportunity to correct them before the errors can count against me. I am making a concerted effort to not fight this process, but to live in it and feel it through and through until the answers that are in my soul reach through my heart and into my mind. I’ll admit--I’m having a little bit of writer’s block with my story and I think the problem right now is that I'm afraid. The unknown is a scary, wide open abyss of blank empty pages screaming back at me to write something amazing and magical and brilliant at the drop of a hat. I’ve always been a planner and a scheduler and someone who needs to have everything in its proper place, so flying off the cuff doesn’t come naturally. But I am aware enough to know that what I see through the cloak of fear isn’t a very realistic view of a life journey where there are always plot twists, special guest appearances and surprise endings. So, I’m putting on my brave face, squaring my shoulders, grabbing my coffee cup (Starbucks, of course) and getting down to business. No matter what ends up being written for the next chapter of my life, I will shake off the fear and enjoy all the ups and downs, twists and turns, edits and revisions. I will continue to trust that there are already forces out there making a way....


I challenge you too, to write your own story, to make up your own rules and to tell your own truth. I dare you to rip up the pages full of expectations, sameness, predictability and normalcy; and to pen--in your best handwriting (or type in your fanciest font)--a new story full of the unexpected, individuality, surprises and pure unadulterated brilliance.

1 comments:

GG said...

This is so inspiring and relatable!

Post a Comment

RSS Feed Like us in Facebook follow me!