Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Holding Myself Accountable: The 3 Lame Excuses I Use to Avoid Exercising


source

"Discipline means doing what needs to be done, even when you don't want to."

I hate to admit it but I have really fallen off when it comes to exercising on a regular basis.  I have fits and starts where I'll get motivated and go for a jog or do an exercise DVD at home.  But overall, I've been very inconsistent and I'm always making excuses (to myself) as to why I "don't have time" to exercise. 

Excuse #1

I do my hair pretty much every Sunday, so the last thing I want to do is sweat it out.  I have natural hair, so one would think that this would give me more flexibility.  I guess it depends on how I'm wearing it.  The most ideal hairstyle (for me) to wear when I'm working out is a bun or some type of protective style.  That way I don't have to worry about tangles or having to re-straighten or re-twist.  So, what's the problem then?  The problem comes back to my priorities.  If I were making my health a priority (over my hairstyle) then I'd make sure that my hairstyle did not inhibit my work out.   It's very simple.  But I make it hard.

Excuse #2

I belong to a gym at my job and most of my coworkers go to the gym or go outside to run during lunch at least 3-4 times a week.  So, I have the facilities, I have the encouragement of my peers, and I still don't go.  If I'm not going out to lunch, then I'm typically at my desk writing during my lunch hour.  With my full-time night job of mom to three, I rarely have time to write at home during the week.  While writing is definitely a worthwhile priority, I realize that my health is still more important.  It doesn't have to be all or nothing.  I should be able to alternate how I spend my lunch time so that I'm able to accommodate both of these positive outlets.

Excuse #3

Finally, I know I've had a hard time getting started because I'm afraid that I won't stick with it (again).  I truly want to be toned and in shape and have more energy, but I don't want to do the work to make it happen.  I remember there was a time when missing a day at the gym was torture!  I was so into it and I looked forward to working out everyday.  To go from that, to where I am now is pretty discouraging.  How do I know that I won't fall off again?  I guess I don't.   But I know that if I don't try, I'll continue to feel that I'm not taking the best care of myself that I can which is not good for my peace of mind.

What excuses do you make to not get in shape?   How have you made positive changes to make physical fitness a bigger priority in your life?  Do you have any suggestions for me?!


2 comments:

Carla said...

Girlllllll I am so I am so mad at myself. I just started my lil 90 day challenge and got to Day 7 and it was a wrap. I am ready to start again.

GG said...

I know how you feel. Just start right over again! And keep starting over again everytime you fall off. We can do this!

Post a Comment

RSS Feed Like us in Facebook follow me!