Wednesday, June 13, 2012

PLPT GEMS: Meet Jamie




PLPT GEMS Presents
Jamie Fleming-Dixon
Speaker. Author. Entrepreneur.

Please introduce yourself and tell us about your copywriting and editing business - Mocha Writer.

I'm Jamie Fleming-Dixon, and I'm founder of For Colored Gurls, an inspirational, personal development blog; I'm also an inspirational speaker and author and an entrepreneur. Mocha Writer is a boutique content creation and copy editing service, assisting women solopreneurs and small businesses with developing the content that grows their companies. I specialize in editing for books, e-books, blog posts and articles.

You recently added 'author' to your growing list of accomplishments!  Please tell us about your book - How to Change Your Mindset + Live Your Most Fabulous Life.

The book is as an inspirational guide to help you create and live the life you want. It gives practical tips for creating a more positive mindset, which will enable you to live the life of your dream. It's a really quick read, and in it, I share things like getting rid of limiting beliefs, how to determine your purpose and setting and achieving goals.

As an entrepreneur and newlywed, how did you find time to work on your book while managing your business and personal life?

It was definitely a struggle because not only was I getting back into the swing of business, I was also getting used to living with someone else and being a wife. But because getting the book and information out was important to me, I made time in the evenings and on the weekends to finish it. I'm someone who believes that if something is important to you, you make time for it, so that's what I did. It wasn't easy, but I'm glad I published it!

What is the most fulfilling aspect of being in business for yourself?  Likewise, what is the most challenging aspect?

The most fulfilling aspect is being able to inspire others and to help them bring their dreams to fruition. And I also love the freedom I have with creating my own hours and being able to choose the projects I take on. The most challenging aspect is balancing work time and personal time.  Because I love what I do (and because my husband works long hours), it's easy for me to work for long periods of time, but I know that having time for myself and just relaxing is important. It's something I'm working on.

Who is your support system and how do they help you reach your goals?

My main support is my husband and my mentor/business consultant. My husband supports my dreams and what I do 100 percent. He may not understand it at times, but he is there for me in every way. My mentor and business consultant, LaKesha Womack, believes in me and what I do, and she is always there for me, giving me the best advice for both business and life; we can talk about any and everything, which is really great. I don't know what I would do without those two fabulous people.

What advice would you offer to others who are searching for their purpose or are afraid to take the first step towards their dreams?

If someone is searching for her purpose, I would say take some time to get quiet, pray, meditate and journal so you're able to focus and go within yourself to figure things out. Also, to find your purpose, you can ask yourself questions like What are my gifts? What am I good at? What would I do if I knew I couldn't fail, if success was guaranteed? For someone who is afraid to take the first step toward her dreams, I would say “feel the fear and do it anyway,” which is my motto. Yes, taking that first step can be scary, but if you just go ahead and begin, you'll be amazed at what doors will open and where life will take you. So, just take that leap of faith!

How can our readers connect with you?

People can find out more about what I do on my website, jamieflemingdixon.com. Also, they can connect with me on Facebook (www.faceboook.com/mochawriterllc; www.facebook.com/forcoloredgurls), and on Twitter (@MochaWriter , @forcoloredgurls).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

RSS Feed Like us in Facebook follow me!