Tuesday, April 12, 2011

PLPT GEMS: Meet Shivawn


PLPT GEMS presents
Shivawn A. Mitchell Founder & Ceo "L.o.v.e. Movement Network"
Counselor. Writer. Motivator. Entrepreneur.





1.  Tell us about yourself and how you came to establish the L.O.V.E. Movement Network.

My background is in the social work field and I currently work for a counseling agency. I’ve always been the person who everyone even strangers come to for advice so I knew counseling was the best choice for me when choosing a degree. I am a writer junkie I’ve always written in journals since I was in middle school and it’s my therapy. Right now I have about 4 journals floating around in my house and I’m currently about to publish my first book. I also have a love for accessories, shoes and fashion. This has turned into another project with a business partner Charisma Adams. We are about to launch a boutique “The Beauty Boudoir Boutique” which launches April 1 (@TBBBoutique).



I decided to establish the L.o.v.e. Movement Network because I saw a need for women to have support in every area of their lives. Most networks “communities” focus only on one aspect of life (business or entertainment). But I know we need help in more than just those few areas. I want the network to become a wellness center for women.



2. What has been the biggest challenge so far?

My biggest challenge has been getting ahead of myself. I have so many ideas and plans for the network but I need to build what I have and stop putting so much pressure on myself. I’m starting to understand that if I’m impacting one person that is all that really matters.

3. What are your goals for the network?

My immediate goal is to strengthen the chapters we have located in Ohio, Atlanta, Canada and New Jersey. I really want us as a group to do more ground work. Meaning more connecting with each other outside of the network through meetings and other activities. I really want women to walk away equipped to help the next lady they meet and their community. Also there is a need for mentoring young ladies. So I would like to see our mentoring program grow. Those are my main two focuses.

4. Why do you think it is that some women have a hard time connecting with other women?

I truly believe women from an early age are condition to feel a negative way about other women. It’s almost like I’m going to get mine and I’m going to push you down in the process. Then that thought process is reinforced through the media. So it makes it hard to connect because you always believe that the next lady has motivates to do you in.

5. How do you stay motivated and overcome doubt, fear and negative thinking?

Wow. This is a good question. Some days this task is easier than others. First I have to stay prayed up because it is easy to become discouraged when things aren’t going exactly as planned. Also I’m very mindful of who I allow in my ear. People can add to your stress level and that’s something I try to avoid so I suggest that you pick like minded people to be in your life. And in order to stay motivated I set goals for myself and I don’t compare myself to the next person. I speak those goals daily just as a reminder to self.

6. What advice would you offer to others who are searching for their purpose or are afraid to take the first step towards their dreams?

Quite a few times I’ve been fearful in making moves but I don’t allow that fear to paralyze me. I have moved in fear several times. It’s a choice to get up and decide to be great. You have to believe in yourself even when no one else does.

Searching for your purpose is a process. Your purpose is always tied into service, how can you make something better, how will this help someone out or solve a problem. Don’t feel the pressure to have it all figured out in a day grow through it!

7. Name someone who has inspired you and why.

My younger brother Aaron is my daily inspiration. He is so driven pertaining to his passion “basketball” and that drive is producing so many opportunities. Its like his focus is on 100 no matter what people say he believes in himself without a doubt. So when I start to feel like I’m going to quit I just think about how much he’s overcame and that everything doesn’t come easy.

8. How can people connect with you and the L.O.V.E. movement?

You can join the network by visiting http://www.lovemovenetwork.com/ or follow us on twitter at @L_oveMove.

Check out the pics below from the Love Movement - Ohio Vision Board Party:




Thanks Shivawn!

2 comments:

Tuesdai Noelle said...

I. AM. Inspired. Good interview.

I can totally relate to 2 & 4! I too tend to get ahead of myself which causes me to complete some and half do others. I guess the anixousness of wanting it ALL done before I forget'em is what haunts me the most. I'm learning to brace myself...as with connecting with women, I need a bit more patience :) It's a learning process.

Naturally Poetic...Again said...

Yeah man!!! Look at that Ohio group!!!! Great interview Shiv-congrats as always, and I am sooo glad I met you and became involved with L.O.V.E.-it has made a tremendous difference in my life and we are making huge differences in others' lives as well-woop woop!!!

Post a Comment

RSS Feed Like us in Facebook follow me!