Tuesday, May 4, 2010

K-I-S-S

About a year ago, something very hurtful occurred. Something that tested my boundaries and caused me to question all the things I had previously thought to be true about my life, friends and relationships. But as upset as I was, I knew I had to move past it. I just knew that I had to accept, forgive and release it because ultimately there was a lesson to be learned and to grow from.

Just a few short days after this thing happened, I read the following excerpt--one of the daily devotions from Until Today. And as I sit here, one year later, pondering yet again that strange turn of life events, it is just as poignant now as it was then.

I am now receptive to the idea that...I can make things more difficult than they need be.

It really isn't as hard as you are making it. It's really quite simple. Unfortunately, you have so much "stuff" attached to it, you are creating a burden where there need not be one. You are creating a problem where non exists. You are causing yourself a great deal of upset for no reason. There is really no reason to fight or argue about it; to explain or demand an explanation. You are clear!

You did not like what happened. It did not honor you. It was a violation of your boundaries. It was not in keeping with the agreement you made or the agreement someone else made with you. What is happening or has happened is not of your choice, nor is it of your making. So it's really very simple! Stop looking and asking for an explanation. Stop demanding that people do what they have already demonstrated an unwillingness or inability to do. Accept what has happened and decide what you are going to do about it. Once you make the decision that honors you, move on!

Until today, you may have been prone to making the realities of your life a bit more difficult than they need to be. Just for today, accept what you know and feel to be right for you without trying to convince others that it must be right for them.

Today I am devoted to seeing things plainly and keeping it simple!*

Every day, I continue to forgive, continue to learn and accept that it's okay to move on and honor what is right for me. I accept that life had to move old things out of the way to make way for new things...and that the new will be more aligned with who I am today. There's no need for me to clutter my emotions by holding onto the past and making life more difficult than it needs to be...

Signed,

Keeping it simple

*exerpt from Until Today: Daily Devotions for Spiritual Growth and Peace of Mind, by Iyanla Vanzant

2 comments:

Brown Babe said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you...I soooo needed to read that.

That used to be my philosophy - accepting people/situations for what they are (and what they are not) and keep it moving! I have recently gotten side tracked and caught up in the details of why of why is this happening???

There are several things that I just need to process and get past already...I'm thinking this post is helping me motivate to that place :o)

Kim Jackson said...

I'm so glad this helped you too! I think it is human nature for us to continually ask "why?" when many times there will never be a way for us to know. It is so much simpler to just say "it happened" and then figure out how to best move on from the situation. I think if we keep reminding ourselves, we'll get it eventually :-).

Post a Comment

RSS Feed Like us in Facebook follow me!