Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Happy Black Girl Day - Black Girls RUN!

Black Girls RUN! tee in Black from BGR site
Often, when we’re feeling particularly down in the dumps, inspiration and motivation come from sources close to us. Such was the case for me today as I read my friend’s Sole Story at the Black Girls RUN! website. Though Leeann’s passion for running continuously inspires me to push myself physically; it was this quote about how her children inspire her that reminded me of why I do the things I have to for my son, and why I can continue to do them—no matter how difficult or uncomfortable.
“I run because it was something I never thought I could do. I wanted something to challenge myself and help me lose weight after having my twin girls. The first time I was asked to run, I said the dreaded words, “I can’t run.” Then I remember that I watched my girls, who were born at 28 weeks, grow in incubators in the NICU for three months and had they ever *said* “can’t” they would of never made it home. So I run now for them, every time I cross a finish line at a race, I thank them for their “can do” attitude that has rubbed off on me.”
You can read more of Leeann’s story at the Black Girls RUN! site.

If you’re unfamiliar with BGR, I would encourage you to head over and check it out. “In 2009, Toni Carey and Ashley Hicks created Black Girls RUN!! in an effort to tackle the growing obesity epidemic in the African-American community and provide encouragement and resources to both new and veteran runners. The mission of Black Girls RUN!! is to encourage African-American women to make fitness and healthy living a priority.” And indeed, Black Girls RUN! has become a multi-city movement, with groups of women heading out to hit the pavement together in the spirit of health and wellness. Leeann happens to be a BGR Ambassador for the Baltimore group, of which I am a member.

But there’s more than just information about running on the site, as you can see from Leeann’s interview. It serves as a point of inspiration for an overall healthy lifestyle, presenting tips on cross-training, diet and even going natural (helpful info since hair maintainence is often cited by black women as a reason to avoid exercise). Black Girls RUN! is changing the way we view our health and letting the world know that Black girls do indeed run.

For more information on Happy Black Girl Day, visit The Beautiful Struggler.

7 comments:

Tiffany said...

Should order this for my friend.

Peace, Love and Chocolate,
Tiffany

Kim Jackson said...

You should! She'll get lots of attention when she wears it--people love them.

Renee said...

Wow,
I'm glad I found your post. It's because of BGR that I drag my tail to the trail on occasion and run, or at least trot. My baby was in the NICU for 4 months but she didn't make it. And it's actually because she's not here that I'm inspired to better myself by living my life more fully. It's beautiful that children can inspire us in so many ways. Thanks for sharing her post. I'll think more deeply the next time I don't feel like running. BTW, the Happy Black Girl Day link didn't work, and the Beautifl Struggler link, well I couldn't find anything there about the HBGDay.

Kim Jackson said...

Renee, I'm so sorry to hear about your baby but it is beautiful that her struggle has empowered you to live your best life. I applaud your strength.

Thank you for the note about the link--I actually realized it right after I published. I guess she isn't promoting it anymore. When I try to change it though, Blogger goes crazy so I've left it alone :-).

Alexis said...

I think this is an excellent idea! I just signed up for Black Girls Run, DC. I am excited! I am finally at a point where I am consistently losing weight, and the opportunity to join a group in DC to exercise with is awesome. Thanks so much for this info!

Mugure said...

wow! love this! gotta get one!

Kim Jackson said...

Good for you, Alexis! Sometimes encouragement is half the battle when it comes to weight loss and consistent exercise. Glad you joined the group!

Mugure, so hot right!? Get it!

Post a Comment

RSS Feed Like us in Facebook follow me!